Learning Management Systems
What is an eLearning System?
An eLearning System otherwise known as a Learning Management System (LMS), a Course Management System (CMS) or a Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) is an application utilized to administer effective online learning. eLearning Systems are used by universities, K-12 schools, and businesses ranging from small to large to deliver training over the Web. eLearning Systems are highly customizable and are being used in businesses for more than just training.
eLearning for business:
- An eLearning System can be used to accept resumes and job applications online.
- An eLearning System can support product knowledge training. You can train internal employees as well as customers/end users.
- An eLearning System can be used as an online repository for corporate documents such as policies and employee handbooks.
- Manage Compliance Training - configure courses with completion tracking to support full course completion and reporting.
- Build communities and foster collaboration within your organization by utilizing built-in wiki capabilities and create multi-threaded forums.
Recent studies indicate that the number of companies adopting eLearning in the next two years will double. One reason is that the current model of face-to-face training is expensive and time consuming. Companies are looking for ways to reduce expenses for the delivery of training and offer 24 x 7 access to relevant training materials and other company resources.
Our preferred eLearning platform is Moodle. Moodle is freely available under the General Public License (GPL). Anyone can go to Moodle.org and download Moodle, run it on any server for as many users as they want, and never pay a penny in licensing costs. For more information on Moodle click here.